If You’re a Tea Drinker (even organic tea), Tune in!
There are so many reports out there that tea is a wonderfully healthy drink to add to your daily regimen. While that is a true statement, it’s important to understand that not all tea is created equal. Don’t just think because you drink organic tea, you’re in the clear either.
If you are trying to heal your body from chronic illness, what you’re going to read here is particularly important for you.
Also, if you are a coffee drinker, don’t click away. Many of the same issues arise with coffee and if you want to heal, you need to make some healthy switches.
The Tea of Today
The tea of today is not the same as it was before the agricultural and industrial revolutions.
Most tea is not washed before it’s put into tea bags. That means that it’s still covered in pesticides and herbicides and other toxins. I know it sounds crazy to wash tea but if the company doesn’t do that, it can become an endocrine disruptor and damage your cells.
Shocking Tea Discoveries
Celestial Seasonings tea has been found that 91% of their tea is covered in pesticides that exceed the U.S. legal limits! (1)
91% of their tea is covered in carcinogens?
Does that sound healthy?
Remember Teavana which used to be in the malls and then Starbucks bought them?
Guess what? 100% of their teas have been found to be covered in pesticides. 77% of their teas would be banned from the EU because of the number of toxins that were found on them! (2)
When There is More in the Tea Than Tea Leaves
Many teas on the market today also contain natural and artificial flavors as well. Those are just chemicals with a more socially acceptable name. They should not be in tea.
Natural flavors, according to Vani Hari and her researchers, are pretty much the same thing as artificial flavors. The one difference is that the initial flavor is derived from something found in nature. The caveat and warning are that natural flavors can contain emulsifiers, preservatives, solvents, and additives which can make up 80% of the “flavor.” (3)
Often tea companies add soy lecithin or cornstarch to their teas which is totally unnecessary.
Soy mimics estrogen in the body and it is widely used in food products today. Eating soy can disrupt female hormone balance and is even contributing to man boobs because it’s in so many processed foods these days!
Due to these added ingredients, tea now contains genetically modified ingredients (GMO’s).
Tea leaves often contain high levels of heavy metals depending on where they are grown in the world. Heavy metals can cause mitochondrial damage in the brain (Multiple Sclerosis) and even lead to Alzheimer’s and dementia. Any company that manufactures tea should always test every lot of tea leaves for heavy metals. Don’t buy from companies who don’t test and can’t share their third-party test results.
What About the Tea Bags?
Furthermore, some teas are put into bags that contain phthalates which are known as endocrine disruptors. When put into hot water they leach into the water causing adverse health effects.
Some tea bags, according to Dr. Mercola, are treated with epichlorohydrin which is considered a potential carcinogen and has caused cancer in animals. (4)
I had a company reach out to me who uses these plastic pyramid tea bags stating that because their tea bags made with PET fibers which are FDA approved they are ok and safe. They also said their glue is non-GMO.
Just a reminder. Here are some of the other things the FDA has approved over the years:
- Hydrogenated Oil (contributing to the epidemic of cardiovascular disease in America)
- Caramel Coloring (a known carcinogen)
- RBGH in Dairy (growth hormone in cows)
- Olean and Olestra (too much and you might as well stay on the toilet.)
- Brominated Vegetable Oils (those are flame retardants, my friends)
- Sulfites in foods (linked to asthma and people have died from ingesting these)
- Agene (bleach in white flour)
- Cinnamyl Anthranilate (causes cancer in rats)
- DEPC (a known carcinogen)
- Aspartame (linked blood sugar dysregulation and a carcinogen)
I could list a whole lot more here. Needless to say, using the phrase “FDA Approved” means literally nothing to me.
Furthermore, the PET fibers that these tea bags are made from are derived from petroleum. They contain phthalates which are developmental and cell toxins.
Even worse, when you put those plastic bags in hot water, the phthalates leach at even higher levels into your drink.
Some Brands of Dangerous Tea
These are some of the companies that do some or all of the following: they don’t test their teas for heavy metals, they add natural and artificial flavors to their teas, they add soy and/or cornstarch and/or they have dangerous paper or plastic tea bags. Some of these companies even have organic tea lines but they are still dangerous due to the above criteria.
- Trader Joes
- Celestial Seasonings
- Republic of Tea
- Tea Forte
- Mighty Leaf
3 Tips Tea to Choose Healthy, Safe Tea
- Always, always, always choose certified organic tea as well as non-GMO tea.
- Choose a company that tests every batch of tea for heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides
- Look at the “other ingredients” on the box labels. Steer clear of companies with added flavors, soy and cornstarch. If the tea leaves are premium, they won’t need any of these additives.
One Brand of Premium, Healthy Tea That Meets the Requirements
There are a few brands of organic tea I love and I wanted to tell you about one of them here.
It’s called Pique Tea. This tea is the bomb.
Let me tell you why:
- Their teas are third party triple screened for heavy metals, toxic pesticides and mold.
- They are 100% organic.
- There are no added ingredients like preservatives, flavors, cornstarch or soy.
- The tea doesn’t come in tea bags. Instead, through a patented process of cold crystallization, it is delivered in packets of tea crystals that dissolve in cold or hot water.
- Their tea contains up to 12x the amount of antioxidants and polyphenols that regular tea leaves do.
- Their tea has received more than 3,500 five star reviews!
At first, when I heard about Pique Tea I was skeptical because I am an ingredient expert and can sniff out fakes and liars a mile away.
When I checked into Pique, not only did they pass my tests of proving they were legit but when I tasted their tea, I was blown away. It is delicious and there are TONS of different types from caffeinated to no caffeine (which I love).
Are You Going to Make the Switch?
Hopefully, you understand that even when a tea bag claims it’s organic, there are still other health aspects to look into. Some people think that it’s just one tea bag but trust me, if you are trying to heal, you definitely want to eliminate all the toxins in your life that you can control.
Choosing an organic tea company that truly produces premium tea leaves, tests their teas and does not add any junk is what should be in your diet. It’s a simple switch! Give Pique Tea a try.