GAPS Friendly Pumpkin Spice Coconut Macaroons.
Who doesn’t need more pumpkin spice in their life? Fall is certainly the season of all things pumpkin. I happen to adore pumpkin for its taste and its robust vitamin and mineral profile. I developed these little sweeties to take on a road trip that I took last month to the mountains. I was feeling pumpkinny and wanted something sweet to sink my teeth into and so these macaroons were born. Except for eggs these are free from the top eight allergens and quite simple to make. They’re great to take to a moms meeting or to a potluck or even a womens dessert. I like to bring these to a coffee shop when I am meeting a friend so that I have something sweet to eat with my tea. Since most coffee shops have absolutely nothing there I can eat these are satisfying for me and I don’t feel deprived.
Be sure to see the recipe notes on getting the crunchy outside and chewy inside! If you need to know where to get unsweetened, organic shredded coconut I buy mine here. By the way, Sil Pats are amazing! They are reusable and never wear out and they are a great replacement for tin foil or parchment paper. A cookie scoop is a must have in the kitchen. I use mine all the time. It makes your cookies uniform and it is a lot cleaner to use than a spoon.
- 2 organic egg whites
- 2 Tlbs. coconut sugar
- 1.5 c. unsweetened, shredded, organic coconut
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. raw local honey, warmed to be pourable
- 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- ¼ c. organic pumpkin, canned works fine
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mix coconut, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Whisk until combined.
- To the dry ingredients, add in the canned, organic pumpkin and cut it in with a fork until mixture resembles crumbles.
- Add warmed honey and stir until well combined.
- In a separate, small bowl, with a hand blender on high, mix egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add vanilla into egg whites and blend to incorporate.
- Pour egg whites into coconut mixture and fold to combine. Be sure that you don't see any white remaining.
- With a medium cookie scoop place dough onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with a sil pat or parchment paper. Flatten the tops of each macaroon a smidge.
- Bake 21 minutes.
It's great that you stopped by. I am thrilled to help you create your own holistic life and guide you to healing your autoimmunity.