Paleo Toasted Coconut Chicken GAPS and AIP Friendly.
Do you ever need a recipe that’s fairly easy to put together and only takes one pot to make? I personally love those kinds of meals because it means a lot less cleanup for me.
There are several one-pot Paleo meals that we enjoy at our house but this is one of my go-to’s. Since I usually have a spaghetti squash either cooked and stored in the fridge or uncooked on the counter ready to be put in my Instant Pot (I am in LOVE with this kitchen appliance) during the day, this meal is really a quick fix.
My Secret About Coconut Oil
Some people really don’t like the taste of coconut and most coconut oil is very coconutty! I truly am not a fan of coconut oil that is overpowering and when the flavor takes over the whole dish. If it’s something sweet, that works; or maybe even savory Thai but anything else I like my coconut oil not to have the coconut taste.
I buy my coconut products including shredded, flakes, and coconut butter at Tropical Traditions online. For oil, the product I buy is their Organic Expeller-Pressed Organic Coconut oil in the gallon. Sometimes I even buy two because we use a lot of it.
The best part about this coconut oil is that it does not taste like coconut. For those hypersensitive coconut hounds you might notice a very slight taste. I love to cook with it because it doesn’t overpower my dishes at all.
Now, since this is coconut chicken you might expect to taste coconut and you will. The toasted coconut on the top and the coconut milk in the dish adds that taste and if you use coconut oil that actually tastes like coconut it will add to the flavor too. It’s all about your preference. I love the slight coconut taste in this dinner. Not too overpowering and instead, complimenting the ingredients.
This can be a Summer, Fall, Spring or Winter dish and is guaranteed to fill your family up.
- 1 Tlbs. Coconut Oil
- 1 Tlbs. Butter or Ghee
- 3 Organic Chicken Breasts, chopped bite size
- 3 Organic Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt (more to taste if needed)
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp, Ground Cumin (leave off if AIP)
- 1 C. Filler Free Coconut Milk (Natural Value is a good canned brand)
- 2 C. Homemade Chicken Broth or Kettle and Fire brand
- 4 C. Fresh, Organic Spinach, Raw and Chopped
- 4 C. Cooked Spaghetti Squash (about 1 large squash)
- Toasted, Shredded Coconut (for garnish)
- Toasted, Sliced Almonds (for garnish. leave off if nut free)
- Melt oil and butter/ghee in a large saute pan on medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots and saute on medium heat until caramelized, at least 20 minutes. Don't burn them
- Add raw chicken and brown on all sides until all pink is gone.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, salt, cumin, ginger, broth and coconut milk and stir to incorporate.
- Simmer together for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and stir to combine.
- Serve chicken mixture over warm spaghetti squash or mix chicken mixture and squash together before serving. Your choice. Garnish the top with toasted coconut and sliced almonds if you can tolerate nuts.