For many years on Christmas morning or a special occasion morning we would have a scrumptious French toast casserole that I would only have to pop in the oven the morning of the occasion and call it breakfast. It was full of sweet goodness and filled that comfort food need. Since eliminating grains, dairy, nuts, refined sugars, cruddy oils and all processed foods out of my life french toast is not something we eat very often and I have not attempted to make a french toast casserole until now. I have really been craving it lately though!
This year I was determined to make that old tradition come back so I created this recipe to fill that void. Boy was it a hit! The four of us scarfed almost the whole thing in one sitting. I don’t recommend that but hey, it’s only once or twice a year.
One of the things I love about this casserole is that it is lower on the glycemic index than what I used to make. Since this dish has no refined sugars in it and uses primarily coconut sugar and coconut nectar along with a little maple syrup you can be sure you wont get a blood sugar spike (especially if you eat a normal portion unlike me.) Also, the protein and fat from the coconut milk, coconut flour, ghee and eggs will help your body to metabolize the sugars that you do need to process. I did not feel a crash at all after eating my two portions of it and I am very sensitive to sugar – even unrefined.
A fun little tip to make this even more simple to make is to make the bread a day or two in advance. Then on the night before all you have to do is the egg batter to let the bread soak up overnight.
I did not come up with my own bread recipe for this breakfast because I figure why waste the time since it has already been done. For the bread recipe I used a double batch of this Nut Free Bread by The Paleo Mom. I make it often and knew the texture of the bread would work well in this casserole. You can use your favorite bread recipe or try this one.
I use this coconut milk in all recipes that call for coconut milk and yes I do order it by the case on Amazon. It is less expensive than buying it per can and we go through a lot of it.
I use this coconut nectar in this recipe.
Without further ado, here is the recipe. I do hope you enjoy this!
- A double batch of your favorite Paleo bread. I like the Nut Free Paleo Bread by The Paleo Mom. (It is linked in this post above). You want the amount of bread to fill an 8x8 pyrex dish and come up at least ⅔rds on the sides.
- 6 pastured eggs
- ½ c. coconut milk, BPA, gum and filler free
- ¼ c. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 2 Tlbs. coconut nectar
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. organic, cultured ghee or you can use butter if you tolerate dairy, melted
- 1 Tlbs. organic (Grade B if possible) maple syrup
- With coconut oil or ghee grease an 8 x 12 baking dish. Do not use a bigger or smaller pan or the bread will not soak up the batter correctly.
- Cut your bread into 1" - 2" cubes and place them in the greased pan.
- Make the batter by whisking all of the ingredients together until fully combined.
- After the batter is all mixed pour it evenly over the bread in the baking dish. * Be sure to get batter on every bread cube. You may even press down gently to be sure that each side of the cubes has egg batter on it.
- Place the batter covered bread in the refrigerator over night to soak up more of the batter at the bottom of the pan.
- The morning you are going to serve the French Toast Casserole preheat your oven to 350 degrees and take the soaked casserole out of the fridge.
- Whisk the topping ingredients together and drizzle over the top of the casserole trying to get some on all pieces of the bread.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for 30-45 minutes until the bread is golden brown with a crunchiness on some parts and springs back when touched.
- Serve with maple syrup and ghee alongside some breakfast meat for a well rounded meal.
It's great that you stopped by. I am thrilled to help you create your own holistic life and guide you to healing your autoimmunity.