(Paleo friendly and potentially OK for GAPS in later stages when tolerating raw veggies. AIP friendly if you leave off almonds, sub avocado oil for flax oil and sub lemon juice for Dijon Mustard.)
Sometimes I am in the mood for a hearty salad. One that has good, clean protein, lots of veggies and a lot of flavor. This one has an added bonus of plenty of Omega 3’s. It is very easy to prepare and a good use of leftover salmon. I also love that almost every ingredient is something that you will have on hand in your stocked kitchen.
- 1 small fresh, wild caught salmon fillet per serving, poached and flaked
- 2 cups per serving of any mixture of organic lettuces or greens. (I used a mixture from our garden of kale, romaine, butter lettuce, purple cabbage and mixed green lettuce.) Chop into bite size pieces and combine them together.
- 1 small organic carrot per serving, julienne cut
- ¼ of an organic cucumber per serving, diced
- ½ of an avocado per serving, peeled and chopped
- 2 tlbs. raw almond slivers per serving (optional) (I like to roast these myself at home)
- 1 recipe of Creamy Dairy-Free Salad Dressing from She Let Them Eat Cake written and linked below.
- 2-3 chopped carrots (you could also use sweet potatoes)
- ½ of an avocado, peeled
- 1 medjool date, soaked and pitted
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tlbs. flax oil (sub avocado oil for AIP)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1½ tlbs. dijon mustard-we use grainy Dijon. (sub lemon juice for AIP)
- a shake of dulse (optional)
- ½ tsp. Herbamare or sea salt
- 1 quarter of a lime, juice only
- Combine all salad ingredients in a big bowl. Top with flaked salmon.
- For the Dressing: Place all of the ingredients in your blender (you might want to chop your veggies first – depending on the strength of your Blender. If you have a Vitamix there is no need to chop the veggies.) Blend until creamy. If you find it too thick, add a bit more water.
Recipe found at www.feastingonjoy.com. Dressing recipe found at www.sheletthemeatcake.com
Enjoy this refreshing salad on a hot summer day. It is full of omega 3’s, antioxidants, good fats and will make you feel energized!