Creamy, Dairy Free Spinach Artichoke Dip
Several decades ago when I was working through college as a server at Olive Garden, their artichoke spinach dip was a staple on my shifts. Sad thing is that I was about 30 pounds overweight then because the alfredo sauce, breadsticks and appetizers always called my name.
Anything creamy for an appetizer is a winner in my book! When you follow a Paleo diet or have a chronic illness like Hashimotos then it’s safe to say that you don’t eat creamy foods that come from dairy. I remember back when I started eating a Paleo diet and eliminated dairy, it was very hard. Since I am an overcomer, determined to recreate some comforts foods that I loved without the addition of dairy, I was able to adapt and get used to this newfound way of life.
This creamy, dairy-free spinach artichoke dip is the perfect replacement for the dairy-laden dips that can cause joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and even further damage your thyroid if you have Hashimoto’s.
A Delicious Dip Without the Guilt
Needless to say, I created this spinach artichoke dip sans dairy! When I am in the mood for comfort food, this is my go-to. I also love to bring this to potlucks and serve it at holidays or when company comes over. It literally only takes about 10 minutes to make.
Let’s Talk About The Wholesome Ingredients You Need to Use
- You’ll need some artichoke hearts. Be sure that the ones you get are not marinated in any oils. They just need to be in water. You can get whole or quartered ones.
- Organic, fresh spinach is one of the stars of the show in this dip. Be sure to get organic only because non-organic is coated with pesticides and is on the EWG dirty dozen list every year.
- You are also going to need a non-GMO, whole-food mayonnaise. That means there should be no canola oil or vegetable oil, no soy, no preservatives, no dye, etc. Sometimes mayo like this can be hard to find which is why, in a pinch, I like to buy mine at Thrive because the ingredients are excellent. Usually, I like to have homemade mayo on hand since it literally only takes 5 minutes to make. You can go here to get my homemade mayonnaise recipe. (Just a note -leave out the ingredients where it says “Spices for the Aioli” since those spices will make a chipotle aioli. Just make what it says in the “For the aioli” section.)
- The spices in this creamy, dairy-free spinach artichoke dip are quite simple. You’ll need garlic powder, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- For the dippers, there are several things you can use. Of course, you can use organic veggies like carrots and red bell peppers. For more of a cracker type dipper, I like to eat these and these yucca crackers so many different ways.
- 1 14 oz. Can of Artichoke Hearts in Water, chopped
- 1 C. Fresh, Organic Baby Spinach, chopped and packed
- ¼ C. + 2 Tlbs. Whole-food Mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ⅛ tsp. Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Open can of artichoke hearts and individually squeeze the water out of each one. Get as much liquid out of them as possible.
- Chop artichoke hearts into bite-sized pieces. (Ok to use tender leaves too.)
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, place all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Heat until warm throughout.
- Serve with plantain chips, yucca crackers and cut, fresh veggies.
Serve Up This Tasty Creamy, Dairy Free Spinach Artichoke Dip
At the next game day or if company is coming over, serving this dip will be well enjoyed. Sometimes I also just make a batch just for myself for no special reason at all. It’s THAT good!