Soothing Baby Bum Cream with Essential Oils
As I look back on my life there is so much I would have done differently. Not that I look back with regrets, but because of the knowledge I have now, my choices would have been starkly contrasting. In the baby arena one of the things that would have been different would have been the products I used on my boys. I cringe when I think that I used to put bleached, dioxin filled, chlorinated diapers on them that they wore every- single- hour- of the day for years. I used Butt Paste which includes a myriad of toxic ingredients – one being petrolatum. Our bodies can’t even process this junk! I also used Desitin. You know that thick white paste that was supposed to protect my baby’s butt and sooth their rashes? Well guess what? That product has petrolatum, lanolin, talc, Tocopheryl Acetate & fragrance in it. It’s ok though because it’s pharmacist and pediatrician recommended right? Let’s put our thinking caps on here friends.
A Word About Those Ingredients
Since our lifestyle change, we don’t bring anything into our home that has a rating of 3 or more (ideally 2 and under) or a rating of B or worse via Environmental Working Group. We figure, since we can’t control some of the toxins that we come in contact with, we will choose to be aware and make the best choices on toxins we can control our exposure too. This holds true for products and food. Anything that comes in contact with our bodies from the outside or the inside. On an aside – I am so thankful for companies like EWG who have brought major awareness to the toxic chemicals and ingredients out there. Years ago, we had no idea what was in the stuff we put on or in our bodies. They have made such a positive impact.
Here’s a run down of some of the nasties in Butt Paste and Desitin:
- Petrolatum gets a 4 rating (1 is the best, 10 is the worst) on EWG. Our bodies cannot assimilate Petrolatum. It is synthetic – man made, not God made. It’s a petrochemical for goodness sake. Really? Do we need petrochemicals for our babies butts? It’s also contaminated with cancer-causing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. The EU considers it a carcinogen! *By the way – vaseline is a no-no. It is 100% Petrolatum!
- Lanolin gets a 1 rating (1 is the best, 10 is the worst) on EWG which really is a good rating. The reason I put Lanolin in an ingredient to avoid is because it can be highly allergenic. Use it with utmost caution. Organic is best because Lanolin of today is riddled with GMO’s, pesticides and herbicides.
- Talc gets a 3 rating (1 is the best, 10 is the worst) on EWG for overall organ system toxicity. It can be irritating to the skin as well.
- Tocopheryl Acetate gets a D rating (A is the best, F is the worst) on EWG for skin allergies, developmental and reproductive toxicity, cancer and environmental concerns. And to think I was putting this on my innocent baby’s private parts! Grrr… so angering.
- Fragrance gets a rating of 8 (1 is the best, 10 is the worst danger to health) on EWG with concerns of allergies and immunotoxicity. I have learned A LOT about fragrance in the past year and will be posting some new articles on it with a lot more detail. Just know, fragrance in a product can include many different health damaging ingredients. It is a catch all and very dangerous to so many of our bodily systems.
Don’t Feel Guilty!
I say all this NOT to make you feel guilty or like a bad parent. One of my goals with Feasting On Joy is awareness. A lot of people still don’t know about ingredients and how harmful they can be for our health. I have had people recently tell me they didn’t know what a GMO was! With this information I hope you learn it and the key take away would be to choose differently or better yet make your own soothing cream for your little baby’s bum. It takes 5-10 minutes. We can all carve out that amount of time, right?
The Good News
Because such great awareness had been brought to light in regards to the ingredients we choose, we now have more options. I wanted to give you one convenient and easy option in creating your own Soothing Bum Cream with Essential Oils for your baby. It is so pure you truly can eat it. Your baby’s body will be able to assimilate every single ingredient in this recipe and there is added therapeutic benefits in using Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils.
A Note About Essential Oils and Babies and This Recipe
There are many doTERRA CPTG essential oils that are safe and effective for use on babies. I was sure to include only those that are 100% safe in this recipe and they are only in small amounts which means they are very diluted – yet still very effective. Just as we are talking about using only safe ingredients, quality matters as well. Not all essential oils are created equal!
Anytime I go to a baby shower, I always make up a batch of this and give it as a gift. Any new mom will adore a homemade, non-gmo, product that will help with baby skin issues that arise.
Soothing Baby Bum Cream With Essential Oils Recipe
- 1/4 C. + 2 tsp. Organic, Glyphosate Free Coconut Oil
- 2.5 Tlbs. Beeswax Pellets
- 1 Tsp. Organic Arrowroot Powder
- 7 Drops of doTERRA CPTG Essential Oil:
- 2 Roman Chamomile (get wholesale prices with FeastingOnJoy Oils and have access to the extremely rare Roman Chamomile Essential Oil coming back next month! It’s my favorite and I cannot wait.)
- 1 Frankincense
- 1 Lavender
- 1 Melaleuca
In a small heavy bottom saucepan, heat coconut oil and beeswax until they are melted. Stir to combine. *Do NOT bring to a boil or get too hot. Stir in arrowroot powder. Very important: Let the mixture cool until it’s just warm, not hot. I put mine in the fridge for about five minutes. Once the mixture is cool add your essential oils and stir to combine. Pour the baby bum cream into a sterilized ball canning jar. I used this size. Makes 6oz.
“These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.”