Paleo, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Crisp Yet Chewy Waffles
Who doesn’t love a hot, comforting waffle smothered with butter (or ghee) in my case and real maple syrup on the weekend? Don’t tell me you wouldn’t enjoy that!
Every month or six weeks or so we like to bake a big breakfast on a Saturday and enjoy it together in a leisurely way. There’s nothing like smelling waffles baking and anticipating how delicious they are going to be. These restful days, we actually have the waffles for more of a brunch because we have slept in of course! My boys like to help mix and measure and they love to put the plethora of toppings we use on the table. You’ll find, real honest to goodness organic butter, organic ghee, homemade apple butter or applesauce from our apples, raw local honey, nut butter, real maple syrup and maybe even some delectable homemade apricot sauce. There’s not shortage of ways to eat waffles in our household. When we are feeling really fancy we’ll top them with nitrate free, pastured bacon! Oh yeah. Now I’m hungry.
I developed this recipe to make A LOT. I live with big eaters and if I only served them one waffle each it would be a complete tragedy. Actually, to be honest, I am a big eater too and I eat more than one waffle at breakfast. I am careful in what topping I use to regulate my unrefined sugar intake though. You can also make an extra batch of these and freeze them. Then, when you are ready to use them, just pop one in the toaster or under the broiler for a minute or so and you’ll be ready for breakfast.
About the Ingredients
I have never made this recipe with any other brand ingredients than what I will share with you and it may matter in the outcome of the finished waffle. Take note.
I use raw local honey
I use this brand of arrowroot flour
I use this brand of tigernut flour
I used this brand of unsweetened organic applesauce
- ⅔ C Organic Shredded Coconut, toasted
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- ⅓ C. Coconut Flour
- ⅓ C. Arrowroot Flour
- 3 Tlbs. Tigernut Flour
- 12 Organic Eggs
- ¼ C. + 2 Tlbs. Ghee or Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 Tlbs. Raw Local Honey
- 1 Tsp. Organic Lemon Juice (fresh)
- ¼ C. Unsweetened Organic Applesauce
- 1 tsp. Alcohol Free Vanilla Extract
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
- While whisking, add dry ingredient mixture into wet ingredient mixture and blend thoroughly until there are no lumps.
- Allow to sit for about 5 minutes until some liquid is absorbed,
- *This batter will be a bit thinner than most waffle batter. That's ok! It will be perfect when baked.
- Place a scoop of batter in your hot waffle iron to make your waffle. Every waffle iron will be different as far as amount. Mine takes a little over one quarter cup.