Do you use essential oils for autoimmunity?
Do you use essential oils? I certainly hope so! Do you have autoimmunity? Well, I hope you don’t but since you’re here it’s safe to assume you or someone else you know might. If you are an oil user, it is vital to understand the difference between an immune stimulating essential oil verses an immune supporting essential oil if you have autoimmunity.
Brief understanding of Autoimmunity in layman’s terms.
With autoimmune issues there is already increased inflammation in the body and more than likely an area or areas of the body are actually being attacked and damaged by our own cells. Autoimmune conditions trick our bodies into thinking that our organ tissue is actually a foreign pathogen that needs to be attacked and killed. When this process happens is causes inflammation. Chronic Inflammation. If the fire is not quenched then the chronic inflammation can cause a whole host of symptoms that build one on top of another and sometimes eventually cause multiple autoimmune conditions. The goal in healing or remitting autoimmunity is to put out the inflammatory fire.
Immune Stimulant verses Immune Supporter
Consider that anything we put on or in our bodies has the potential to ignite inflammation or cool inflammation. That’s why it’s important to know and understand the difference between an immune stimulating oil and an immune supporting oil.
Since autoimmunity is an immune response in our body which causes damage to an organ/tissue then it’s likely we won’t want to flare up that immune response by something we are putting on or in our bodies. An immune stimulating essential oil can re-kindle the flame. An immune supporting oil can cool the fire as well as help to balance and support our immune system.
- an agent that stimulates the immune system
- induces an immune response
- immuno-stimulants can lead to a non specific stimulation of the immune defense system
- can cause autoimmunity to flare
- puts immune system in overdrive.
- normalizes autoimmune response
- balances immune system
- boosts immune system
Most essential oils either stimulate or support and it’s a really great idea to get educated on which oils do what. At the end of this post I have included a free chart for you to download that you can print and will tell you which oils are stimulating and which are supporting.
Free printable download of this chart at the bottom of the post.
Important Points to Know About Immune Stimulating Essential Oils
- If an essential oil is immune stimulating, you may still be able to use it. Every person’s body chemistry is different even within the realm of autoimmunity, For instance, if you have Hashimotos like I do, you may be able to use a certain immune stimulating oil that I can’t and notice positive effects. We are all different.
- Just because it’s immune stimulating doesn’t mean for those with autoimmunity it’s off the “can use” list.
- It’s important to know what part of the immune system that the essential oil stimulates. (That’s an entire separate blog post – to come.) For instance, I know that I should not be using an endocrine stimulating oil consistently, long term because it is possible for it to ramp up my immune system and cause an autoimmune flare.
- For certain ailments, not related to autoimmunity, it is important to know that using an immune stimulating oil may cause prolonged symptoms and or turn the ailment into something completely different. *If you want to know more details of what this means please contact me and I can tell you with my voice rather than typed.
- Bottom line is don’t be scared of immune stimulating oils, be educated about them and use them with knowledge and understanding. They can be wonderful!
Example of How I Would Use an Immune Stimulating Oil
Even with Hashimotos I use and enjoy immune stimulating oils. However, I use them with caution and don’t go crazy with them. In the event of a bug that is going around our house a certain immune stimulating oil is right for the job. For me personally, I know that I can use that oil for a short time, in less amounts than others in my family, and still benefit from the therapeutic properties that it has. I also know that if I use that particular oil consistently everyday for more than four days that I start noticing some of my autoimmune symptoms coming back slightly. Due to my knowledge of which oil does what, I am able to switch to another oil that is immune supporting but may still have the same anti-bacterial, anti-viral constituents and not flare my immune system. The alternative is that I can just start with using the immune supporting essential oil to begin with rather than the immune stimulating one. I hope that makes sense! Feel free to ask questions if it doesn’t
Word of caution: Essential Oil blends have many different oils in them. If the oils included are on the immune stimulant list then that oil blend will be immune stimulating. You can still use it just follow the same precautions with the knowledge that it is an immune stimulator.
Essential Oil Education is VITAL
Work with an essential oil user, like Feasting On Joy Oils that is educated, knows how to use them safely and is willing to teach you!
It is imperative that you have a person (mentor in oils – we call them Wellness Advocates) that is able to properly educate you on the use of essential oils. If you choose to be on the FeastingOnJoyOils team not only will you get 25% off all oils and oil products, you will also get access to our educational classes, personal oil mentorship from us and knowledge on using oils safely. The complexities of essential oils are vast and we believe education and support is vital for our team of oil users.
If you want to be on our team to start using oils, be mentored by us and take our classes please feel free to contact us. We also send out an excellent newsletter one to two times a month that is jam-packed with oil ideas, information and upcoming class dates.
I wanted to tell you that the chart you are about to download below has been absolutely fundamental in the way I use oils for autoimmunity. I refer to it all the time and absolutely love the difference it makes in my life having this as a reference!